Sunday, May 14, 2006

Me and Salim (the local nurse) were cooking lunch here, in the kitchen of the clinic. Bit fat juicy prawns 2 quid for a kilo ... As usual the fact that I can cook (because of course at home in my castle usually all my maids cook for me) was met with laughter and surprise. I was praying I didn't f- it up to prove them all right but I managed to pull it off I reckon.

Prawn fishing is the main source of income here, and a very lucrative business by Indonesian standards - the fishermen get 20-100kg a day and sell for Rp25,000/kg (just under 2 quid).

Even after taking off the cost of fuel and ice, it is still possible to make a pretty reasonable income. That said some days are bad days, and most of the men only go out 3 days a week ... It's strange though - the standard of living is still so basic, but actually if you work it out, they can make a lot more from the prawns than if they go to work on the plant (and even that is a pretty decent local salary too).


The water was high when we wanted to go home, so the speedboat was able to reach the jetty (left) - apparently sometimes it can't get in as the water is too low, so you have to walk through the mud for a couple of kms to reach it. Needless to say I was quite happy to avoid that scenario ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home